Friday, May 27, 2011

Cocktails for a Cause

Last night, Tom's Ambassadors Club hosted a benefit for a little girl who passed away after a tragic accident.  Her name was Hannah, and she was only 4 years old (to view more about Hannah click here).  They raised over $3,000, which will be put towards her little sister's college fund.  It absolutely amazed me how many people were there to support a family that some had never met. 

As my sister and I stood by the all of the photos of a beautiful, full of life, full of smiles, happy little girl, it just broke our hearts that she was taken so soon and in such a tragic way.  Hannah was playing by a 3rd story window and the screen gave out and she fell through the screen . . . it happened at a birthday party.  This is the time when I question God and why he does the things does.  Why this little girl?  Why in such a tragic way?

Chris Ranallo from the band Decoy, wrote a song for Hannah and it was beautiful.  I stood across from the parents as he was singing the song, and I couldn't hold back tears, I don't think anyone there last night could.  After the song, both parents spoke and what they said was so touching and true.  "Hannah lived her life and would want us to keep living ours.  Never take for granted each moment, each second you have with your child, family or friends". 

As a parent, it really makes you realize how fortunate you are for each day you have with your child.  What both her parents said made me want to get home and see my little babe and hold him extra tight . . . even if he was throwing a fit because he didn't want to leave his cousins Cole and Jenna's house.  It made me want to be a better Mom.  It made me want to have more patience.  It made me want to be a better person . . . I just wish I didn't have to hear of another families loss to remind me how short life is and to not get lost in the craziness of it all.   

Click here to view the news story about the fundraiser and to hear a little clip from her Dad.  If there is one positive that came out of this, Hannah was able to donate her eyes and her heart.  Her mother said her eyes helped 2 people to see again.  The lives that can be saved/helped is amazing and what a way to honor a life that has been lost.

I am saddened to hear of tragic events that happen to anyone, but when it's a young child or baby, I just don't understand why they had to be taken so soon or why such a horrible thing happened to them.  Another family who is always in my thoughts and prayers, is my blogging friend, Jen.  Her blog, Praying for Aviana is one that has really impacted my life.  Aviana has come such a long way and that is not only because she is such a strong little girl, her parents are hands down, some of the most amazing people I have "met".  This post by Jen was one that hit home for me.  Tom and I have wished for so many of the same things Jen mentioned in this post and she made me realize, be careful what you wish for.

I believe that positive things can come out of horrible events and one positive I see from both horrible events is how many lives these 2 little girls have touched and will continue to touch.  We may never know God's reasoning, but we do know his light is shining through the many friends, family and even complete strangers who care and it is those people that will help get you through anything.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I am so sad for that family! Thank you for sharing their story. I will be keeping them in my thoughts, and hoping they will be able to find some peace...sooner, rather than later!

    As I continued on reading, I was taken a back when I saw you had referred to our story. Thank you so much for thinking of us, and caring enough to post about us. I really appreciate it, and am so happy to know that out of such tragedy, there can be, people like you, who let us know it wasn't in vain.

    As you referred to, tragedy, and the outpouring of love, and support, especially from complete strangers, has a beautiful way of making us feel like we are not alone, and that we are all truly one.

    Thank you, and I hope you have a great weekend.

    Love,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete